- 1 can chicken broth
- 3 T chicken base
- 2 quarts water
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 inch chunk ginger, peeled and crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1/2 Bermuda onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large red pepper, chopped
- 12 baby carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 5 mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 scallion, sliced in one-inch pieces
Put everything into a soup pot and simmer gently for 1-2 hours adding water as needed. This makes a light, refreshing, summer dish or first course.
For a more substantial meal, you can add a few pierogies or raviolis 10-15 minutes before serving by first bringing soup to a boil. Or this can be served over fresh noodles.
Season to taste, and remove from heat. Serve the vegetable recipe accompanied by toasted Italian bread spread with garlic butter and Parmesan cheese.