MEDITERRANEAN VEGETABLE SOUP ...a great vegetable recipe to try ! Nice one !
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chicken or beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, not drained
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 15 oz. can cannelini or white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup pasta bows
- Parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1 small head escarole (optional)
Heat the oil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot and celery, and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, broth, water, tomatoes, basil, oregano, salt, pepper, and beans.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. If escarole is being used, wash, tear into 2 inch pieces and add to soup 15 minutes before soup is done, or at the same time as the pasta.
Add the pasta bows and cook 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally until the pasta and escarole is tender.Serve sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.
The vegetable recipe is ready to serve...nice ! Enjoy the soup !